Technical Director - AOC Nominated Person Continuing Airworthiness
A hugely experienced and successful airline engineering and maintenance leader, Ian brings a wealth of knowledge of airline operations, having worked for multiple airlines and aviation companies across low-cost, charter and scheduled brands
Ian is an experienced and energetic aviation executive with a track record of delivering game-changing and sustainable performance improvements. MBA-qualified, with a strong technical background supplemented by vast supply chain management, procurement, sales and business development experience, together with expert knowledge of the commercial aviation aftermarket industry.
Ian has worked for several airlines, in positions covering technical, operational, supply chain management, procurement and commercial responsibilities, and has filled the Technical Director and Continuing Airworthiness Postholder role for Flybe, Wizz Air and Thomsonfly. Ian also spent six years working as a free-lance consultant advising numerous airlines in the buying and selling of aftermarket MRO services. Most recently, Ian was employed as Director of Commercial Strategy for AJW, the world’s leading independent aviation spares management business, with responsibilities including marketing, business development, pricing, sales conversion and key account management. Ian has an un-rivalled insight into the commercial aviation after-market.
Key career achievements:
- Effective and robust airworthiness management of both in-house and subcontracted engineering and maintenance operations, ensuring continuing airworthiness and regulatory compliance
- Management of outsourced and subcontracted maintenance activities for airlines, generating double-digit percentage improvements in cost and service level
- Significant operational improvements achieved in all roles, particularly in technical despatch reliability, delay length, out-of-service time, on-time return from maintenance and deferred defect levels
- Development of effective commercial strategy for MRO arm of leading international airline
- Management of tender process for entire range of maintenance services for leading European low-cost carrier
- Set-up of overseas airframe maintenance joint venture for leading international airline
- Development of joint venture to provide component support and other technical support services on new aircraft types
- Development of legal and commercial framework for marketing and selling of an MRO ERP system
- Complete re-design, re-orientation and re-structure of supply chain function for leading charter airline
- Specification design, tender process, supplier selection, contract formation and implementation for major European airline group delivering financial savings in excess of 25% combined with very significant service level improvements
Other members of the team:
Chief Executive and Founder - AOC Accountable Manager
An Aeronautical Engineer with a diverse career path as British Army Officer, Bond trader/broker and Formula 1 Team Owner, Nino brings the vision, passion, leadership and management experience to the flypop team
Investor & Senior Investment Adviser
Jay has spent 20 years working for a major US investment bank as trader and a managing director responsible for trading businesses across London, Hong Kong and New York. Jay has spent the last 3 years as a Partner and Emerging Markets portfolio manager for a London based macro hedge fund.